Menu Close

BIRCWH Program Eligibility

Scholars who will be supported by the institutional career development program must be at the career level for which the planned program is intended. Scholars are expected to devote a minimum of 9 person-months (75% of full-time professional effort) during the appointment on the K12 award.

Only U.S. citizens, non-citizen nationals or individuals lawfully admitted for permanent residence at the time an offer of an award is made, are eligible for this award. Individuals on temporary or student visas are not eligible to apply for a CDA unless they have begun the process for becoming a permanent resident and expect to be admitted as a permanent resident by the earliest possible award date.

The scholar position is a junior faculty appointment, not a fellowship.

At the time of appointment, candidates for support as BIRCWH Scholars must:

  • Have a full-time faculty appointment (Instructor, Assistant Professor, Research Associate, or equivalent) at Johns Hopkins when applying for the award. Postdoctoral clinical fellows with a pending faculty appointment areeligible to apply. The faculty appointment cannot be dependent upon receipt of the K12 award.
  • Have a clinical doctorate or Ph.D. degree or its equivalent.
  • Have completed any postgraduate training normally expected for a faculty appointment in their field (including clinical or postdoctoral fellowship training, or residency if they have chosen not to subspecialize).
  • Have no more than six years of research or research training experience beyond their last doctoral degree.
  • Identify mentors with extensive research experience.
  • Be able to spend at least 9 person months (or at least 6 person months for surgical-specialties) of full-time professional effort conducting research and research career development activities.
  • Not be or have been a PD/PI on an R01 or subproject of a Program Project (P01), Center (P50, P60, P20, P30, U54) grant, individual career development (K-series) grants, or other equivalent research grant awards.

In keeping with the type of mentoring and career development being provided by the K12, a scholar who is already in the process of applying for an individual career development grant, P01 grant, or R01 grant is likely to be too senior for the BIRCWH.