How to Fill Research Positions during COVID
Posted by: cwill137 on: August 18, 2020 | Print This Page
Here is a brief summary of options for faculty/departments to consider for obtaining talent.
We strongly suggest that you consider a combination of all of these options. The first two will be quicker to bring talent on but they will not be available as long. The temporary employee process takes a little longer to obtain the talent, but the talent will be able to commit for 6-18 months.
- Recruiters are reaching out to those that signed up for redeployment. If people are available, they could be brought on quickly. When people respond they want to see a job description, know the hours, days, etc. Talent Management will look at those signed up and make connections with the research group looking for help. Talent Management contacts are listed below.*
- Department administrators can reach out to other HR Business Partners in SOM and see who has been furloughed. If you have funding to support staff acquisition Business Partners can facilitate a financial transfer and secure you with talent.
- Individual investigators can reach out to the ICTR to find temporary research staff (including nurses) that have a particular skill set. The ICTR sent out a survey to all research staff asking for staff to identify their skill set and comfortability working directly with COVID-19 participants. Some staff are willing and able to volunteer hours but most will require financial support. Contact Anthony Keyes with the clinical studies specific needs and he will attempt to match you with a qualified and available research staff member.
- Contact Karen Proctor at Randstad (JHU’s Temp Agency). Karen is the program manager and can be reached at 667-307-4430 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Your Administrator needs to submit a staffing request to the SOM Business Office for temp labor. They meet every Thursday. If there is funding through sponsored research, the requests are getting approved.
- The usual HR hiring processes remain in place as well.