Program Experience & Eligibility
This program provides intensive learning experiences that will prepare predoctoral students (MD, PhD) interested in clinical research careers to be exemplary researchers (in any discipline, specialty or subspecialty).
Students who are accepted into this program will be exposed to structured curricula through either:
- a Master’s degree in Public Health (MPH concentration in Epidemiologic and Biostatistical Methods for Public Health and Clinical Research) at the Bloomberg School of Public Health
- a Master’s degree in Health Sciences (MHS concentration in Clinical Epidemiology) at the Bloomberg School of Public Health
- a Master’s degree in science (MSE) in Bioengineering Innovation and Design at the Johns Hopkins University Center for BioEngineering Innovation & Design
- 2nd year or higher nursing PhD with a concentration in clinical research at Johns Hopkins School of Nursing.
They will also identify and work with a mentor who is a Johns Hopkins faculty member to design and implement a research study and write up the results for publication. The program has funding for 10 predoctoral students per year and includes funds towards tuition, health insurance support, research-related travel, a stipend for the student. Many of the no- and low-cost support services provided to ICTR investigators are available to our trainees as well.
Students will gain training and experience in:
- Articulating an appropriate question/hypothesis
- Identifying an appropriate study design and data set for answering the question
- Obtaining IRB approval
- Gaining familiarity with aspects of data management
- Identifying and applying appropriate statistical methods and correctly interpreting results
- Gaining familiarity with tracking and recording steps in the analysis of a data set
- Writing up the results of a data analysis for a professional publication
- Oral presentation of the results
Only U.S. citizens and permanent U.S. residents are eligible for this training program.
- MSE in Bioengineering Innovation and Design: Application Website