EPIC for Research
The Epic Medical Record System has multiple features to support clinical research at Johns Hopkins. The following functionality is pre-built and is available for immediate use:
- An interface with the Clinical Research Management System (CRMS) that populates study and participant data in Epic.
- An indication in the patient banner that a patient is on a research study and information about their studies.
- Ability to link an encounter to a study.
- Ability to associate an order with a study.
- Research order sets.
- Research notes, which can be created by the study coordinator
- Use of existing MyChart Questionnaires to collect patient reported outcomes
- Inbox notification that a study participant is in a Johns Hopkins ED or has been admitted as an inpatient at Johns Hopkins
- SlicerDicer for generating patient counts
- Epic reports to support research
- Scanned research consent forms in the Media tab
The Epic software can also be modified to meet the needs of specific studies. These modifications can be done for the study by the Program to Accelerate Clinical Research Using EPIC (PACE) team with approval from the Epic Research Request Review Committee.
- MyChart-based study recruitment
- Logic (best practice advisories) to identify study candidates while the candidate is on the premises
- Paging study team members to alert them to events of interest
- MyStudy-specific data collection forms (smart forms, flowsheets)
- New MyChart questionnaires for the collection of patient reported outcomes
- New Epic reports
- Extraction of data in Epic by the CCDA
- Third Thursdays with the ICTR Epic Showcase April 18, 2019
Due to privacy concerns, please log in with your JHED to view the video. If you have any issues, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Video Recording
- Epic Tips & Tricks for Research: https://livejohnshopkins.sharepoint.com/sites/epictraining/Research%20Tips%20and%20Tricks/Forms/AllItems.aspx
- Epic Research Supplemental Training Materials