Application Guidelines 2017-2018
- Must have a cover sheet (please see the attached form. You must indicate if you are applying for the Synergy or Innovation Award).
- include a research proposal of no more than three pages (including figures/tables). References are not included in the three-page limit. Shorter applications are encouraged.
- Please use a font size of 11 points or larger with margins of 0.5” on all four sides.
- The research proposal should include four sections that succinctly describe:
- The innovative hypothesis to be tested or goal to be achieved. Why is the problem important? How are the proposed studies novel and not merely an extension of previously funded or published work? Explain what this funding will allow you to do that you otherwise could not. Preliminary data are not required.
- For the Synergy Award, explain the nature of the collaboration that enables the proposed work. Is this a new collaboration? If not, applicants must describe how the project represents a new direction.
- For the Innovation Award, explain the qualifications of the investigator to carry out the proposed work. For early-career investigators, explain how this award would impact your career.
- The experimental approach to be pursued during the year of funding; and
- Expected scientific impact of the proposed studies beyond the initial funded phase, including what future work would be enabled.
- A minimal, one-page budget that describes how the funding will be allocated to personnel, supplies and equipment. Faculty salary and equipment costs can be included as desired. No indirect costs should be included in the budget.
- For the Synergy Award, any budget amount up to $100,000 can be proposed.
- For the Innovation Award, any budget amount up to $50,000 can be proposed.
- Applicants must present a credible plan describing how they will make substantial progress with one year of funding. Carryover of funds to a second year will be considered with justification, under special circumstances.
- An NIH-style biosketch is required for all faculty (including but not limited to P.I., co-investigator, collaborator, consultant), without the personal statement, that includes all current and pending support (do not include completed support) from all sponsored and non-sponsored sources. Each biosketch is limited to four pages.
Each proposal must be submitted with all components compiled into a single PDF. A specific file name format is required for the PDF: Last name of Corresponding PI dot First Name of Corresponding PI dot pdf (for example: Burns.Kathleen.pdf).
The application must be submitted by 11:59 pm on May 22, 2017
Synergy Award: Submit via e-mail to SynergyAward@jhmi.edu
Innovation Award: Submit via e-mail to InnovationAward@jhmi.edu
Application Deadline: May 22, 2017
Funding Announcement: By July 1, 2017
Award Start Date: July 1, 2017
Up to 10 Synergy and up to 10 Innovation awards will be made this cycle.
Administrative questions about the application process can be addressed by contacting Peggy Wiland via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Recipients of Synergy and Innovation Awards will be expected to submit a six-month and final progress report, and report to the JHM Research Council on publications, reports of invention and external funding applications enabled by this award. Successful awardees may consult with the vice dean’s office for assistance if any administrative barriers to completing Discovery Fund objectives are encountered.
DISCOVERY FUND COVER SHEET
Daniel E. Ford, M.D., M.P.H.
Vice Dean for Clinical Investigation
Antony Rosen, M.B., Ch.B., B.Sc. (Hons)
Vice Dean for Research