COVID-19 Clinical Research Center | COVID-19 Research Involving Participant Interaction
COVID-19 Research Involving Participant Interaction
WHAT TO KNOW BEFORE YOU BEGIN:
- Institutional review is required even where an external IRB is the reviewing IRB for the study. An external IRB application must be submitted to the responsible JHU IRB in these cases.
- There are many ancillary reviews required for COVID research before studies may be approved. Be sure to review Section 3 below.
- Studies that will include patient data requests (such as from JH-CROWN) may require review from the CADRE Review Committee. Studies that involve the use of stored specimens may require review by the Biospecimen Oversight Committee.
- Once the protocol has been approved by the COVID-19 Clinical Research Coordinating Committee, start the IRB application–most of the ancillary review processes require an IRB number and can be initiated simultaneously with IRB review.
- Develop Concept and Consult COVID-19 Clinical Research Coordinating Committee about Research Recruitment Priority COVID19ResearchCtr@jhmi.edu
- Learn about Optional Protocol Development Resources
- Anticipate Ancillary Reviews Before Submitting to IRB
- Explore Research Implementation Planning Resources
- Start IRB application and reach out to Departmental Contracts and Finance personnel to begin ORA budget and contracts processes. Do not wait for IRB approval to start the ORA process.
- Review IRB and ORA COVID-19-Specific Requirements
- Upon IRB Approval:
- Inpatient PIs must contact Stephanie Swords to be added to the Inpatient COVID Research Group on Microsoft Teams: COVID19ResearchCtr@jhmi.edu
- Approved studies are ranked for recruitment priority by the COVID-19 Clinical Research Coordinating Committee. Upon receiving IRB approval, investigators must present the study to the Committee for recruitment priority ranking. To schedule with the committee, email COVID19ResearchCtr@jhmi.edu
- Finalize implementation resources